Are you having trouble losing weight? Do you have dark circles under your eyes, are sluggish, irritable, tired all the time, have a lack of concentration, and no motivation? These could be signs of your liver being in distress or having a toxic liver. What is putting your liver in overdrive and what can you do to keep it from working too hard?
What Does the Liver Do?
The liver is the largest solid organ and gland in the human body. It has a variety of roles, including detoxification, protein synthesis, and the production of chemicals necessary for digestion. These are the major functions of the liver:
• Bile production: the liver produces bile, which helps the small intestine break down and absorb fats, cholesterol and vitamins
• Metabolizes carbs: carbohydrates are stored in the liver where they are broken down into glucose
• Metabolizes proteins: bile helps break down proteins to make them digestible
• Filters the blood: filters and removes compounds from inside the body, including estrogen and aldosterone
• Stores vitamins: stores vitamins A, D, E, K, and B12, as well as copper and releases them when needed.