Beautiful skin is not easy, plus when there’s a new and improved wrinkle fighting product nearly every month, it’s important to know what you’re putting on your face. These products offer high promises, but sifting through the hype is not an easy ordeal. The good news is that the retinoids family, which includes retinol and Retin-A is believed to really make a difference in the fight against aging.
LIKE DailyVitamina.com on Facebook! Get Your Daily Vitamin…FOR LIFE!
Retinol is a natural derivative form of vitamin A. It is found in many over the counter skin products.
Features of Retinol
- Available over-the-counter
- Less irritating than its prescription counterpart
- Once the right balance is found, it can potentially unveil more youthful-looking skin
Cons of Retinol
- Needs to be tailored to suit individual skin otherwise it can cause irritation
- Takes longer than retin-A to show results
- Photosensitive – can only be used at night. Exposure to sunlight can cause adverse reaction
Retin-A is the prescription form of retinol, and has been shown to reduce fine lines, smooth skin texture and help normalize pigmentation.
Features of retin-A
- Stronger formula yields faster results
- Shrinks pores and improves cell turnover which improves dark spots
- Helps retain collagen, which improves skins firmness and elasticity
- Increases amount of new collagen formed
Cons of retin-a
- May peel, flake, turn red and become dry during initial days/weeks of treatment
- May be more expensive option of the retinoids
- Cannot be used by people suffering from rosacea or eczema.