A sweet and savory, these mangoes are perfectly pickled in a brine of cider vinegar, honey and mustard seeds. Layer them on sandwiches, serve alongside a cheese plate or enjoy as a snack.
LIKE LatinoDoctor.org http://LatinoDoctor.org on Facebook! La vitamina diaria…Para Su Vida!
- 1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Peel of 1 lime, removed in wide strips with a paring knife or vegetable peeler
- 4 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 spears each
In a medium pot, bring vinegar, 1 cup water, honey, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, salt, turmeric, and lime peel to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute. Pour hot brine over mangoes in a large, heatproof bowl and set aside to let cool to room temperature. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. Serve immediately, or drain and chill until ready to serve.
Per Serving:Serving size: 2 spears, 40 calories (0 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 1g protein