Emma Morano, the oldest woman in the world is sharing her secret for a long and healthy life. The Italian woman will celebrate her 117th birthday on November 29th. She claims that it’s two things that have kept her alive and healthy all these years: eating two raw eggs everyday and being single since 1930 when she got divorced. Morano began to eat raw eggs about 20 years ago when her doctor told her that eggs are a good source of protein and would help her get rid of her anemia.
What Are The Benefits of Eating Raw Eggs?
Raw eggs may sound disgusting, but more and more people are eating them in smoothies or quickly as an “egg shot because of their health benefits. Many critics sway others from eating raw eggs because of salmonella and bacteria. Yet, the process of eating eggs cooked can destroy the proteins and fats when exposed to the heat. Doctors do encourage their patients to eat eggs and whether they eat them raw or cooked, that is a personal choice. Here are some of the health benefits:
- Tons of Vitamins: Eggs are packed with vitamins, including Vitamin A, Folate, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B12, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium, and Zinc.
- Raise Good Cholesterol: Having a high HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) cholesterol lowers your risk of heart disease.
- Good for eyes: Eggs contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that help reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration, two very serious eye disorders.
- Good source of fatty acids: Eggs from chickens that are raised on pasture or fed Omega-3 enriched feeds are a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which help lower triglycerides.
- Big on Protein: A single egg can contain 6 grams of protein, which help keep you anemia-free, help with weightloss, increase muscle mass, and keep your bones strong.
- Keep you full: There’s a reason why people that are trying to lose weight start their day off with eggs. It’s a great source of protein, so it keeps you full longer, without having to overeat.
Eating eggs and enjoying the single life seems to be working for Emma Morano and now you know why eating eggs everyday help her lead a healthy life. She also loves to eat cookies, but can you blame her? We say, do you Emma and if eating raw eggs, eating cookies, and swearing off men work for you, then continue to do what you’re doing, because it’s definitely working!