If there is a problem that has been more prevalent in recent years, it’s insomnia. With our busy lives, it’s hard to get the proper sleep. As we get older, individuals don’t need a lot of sleep, however it is necessary for health and wellness, especially since our body recuperates while we sleep.
Here are a few tips as you lay down for the evening to get the best sleep you can.
1. Light interferes with the relaxation of sleep. Short, blue light waves from phones, tablets, televisions and anything else that radiates light can cause problems. Turn of any light radiating appliances or light producers before hitting the sack.
Like Us On Facebook!
2. Don’t look at the clock. When you wake up in the middle of the night and you see the clock, you automatically calculate how many hours you have until you have to wake up in the morning. This will interfere with your sleep and you will lose those precious minutes before you have to get your day started.
3. The bedroom is for two things: Sleep and sex. Relaxation is key. You shouldn’t be doing anything in your bed besides sleeping and having sex. Do not talk on the phone, watch TV or do your bills. Keeping your mind on one track for the bedroom will help you get better rest.
4. Set your body clock. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. There are no roosters to wake you up naturally here, so do it yourself. Your grandmother would be up sweeping the front stoop at 5:30 and back in time to make a desayuno before you even noticed she was gone. When you wake up, get as much light as you can. It’s the best way to get your body used to waking up at the same time every day.
5. Exercise at least three to four hours before bed time. Do any kind of strenuous workout will give you a boost of energy and keep you from going to bed quickly. Relaxation exercises are best before bed. Things like yoga or tai chi will help your body settle down for the night.
6. Did you ever hear that if you ate something heavy before bed, you’ll get nightmares? We’re not telling you that, but the lighter the snack before bed the better it is for your digestive system. Mix complex carbs and dairy, they fill you up and won’t bother you in the middle of the night. Be sure to finish your snack at least an hour before going to bed.