Whether you have a regular old-fashioned headache, a sinus headache, a tension headache, or a full-blown migraine, you want relief. Sure, you can take a couple of painkillers and wait an hour. Sometimes, though, you need immediate relief and you might not want to put a painkiller into your body. Here are some natural remedies for a headache that could bring you immediate relief.
- Peppermint Oil: A headache is likely caused by the blood vessels delivering blood to and from the brain becoming constricted, restricting blood flow. Peppermint helps to open those clogged vessels, and comes with a refreshing scent. You can dilute peppermint oil with water or another carrier oil, like coconut oil, and rub it into your temples, forehead, and the back of your neck. Alternatively, you can take a teaspoon of crushed fresh peppermint and steep it in a cup of water. Sweeten it with honey and sip slowly.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender has shown to be an effective remedy for both tension and migraine headaches. It also has the benefit of being a mood stabilizer and a sedative. Add a couple of drops to a tissue and inhale the aroma. To permeate your home with the scent, add a few drops to a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam. Like peppermint oil, you could mix it with almond or coconut oil and massage your forehead with it.
- Rosemary Oil: Rosemary oil has been used as a remedy to relieve stress and pain for hundreds of years. It’s noted analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties make it a perfect headache treatment. You can get relief two ways – like peppermint and lavender, you can add it to a carrier oil and rub the affected area. You can also add a few drops to your bath – breathing in the scent can offer pain relief.
- CBD Oil: Cannabidiol, also known as CBD is one of the many known compounds that are derived from the marijuana plant. Unlike THC, the core psychoactive compound in cannabis, CBD is not psychoactive and will not get you high. It can, however, provide headache relief. Applying it to your temples like the aforementioned oils may provide some relief, but the better method is to ingest or inhale it. The fastest way to deliver CBD benefits is to use a vape pen. Just add a few drops of CBD to your favorite e-juice, or use CBD cartridges.
- Eucalyptus Oil: If your headache is due to clogged sinuses, then eucalyptus oil might be the remedy for you. Eucalyptus will help clear sinuses and open the nasal passages, and this will relieve the tension that causes the headaches. Either add a drop to a carrier oil and rub on the chest to breathe in the vapor or add a few drops to hot water and do the same. Add it to a hot bath for a relaxing, sinus-clearing night.