Many women hate that time of the month because tampons and pads can be extremely uncomfortable. Now there’s the menstrual cup, which is exactly as it sounds. It’s a cup made of medical grade silicone that is shaped like a bell and it’s flexible. It’s worn inside the vagina during the time of the month to catch menstrual fluid and you can wear it day and night.
- Cost: The average menstrual cup can run you about $25 and can be used for a whole year. If you think about how much tampons and pads cost a month, that can be a deal breaker.
- Healthier: They are made of medical grade silicone that has no effects on the body unlike the chemicals, bleaches, and perfumes used in tampons and pads. Not to mention the rashes that pads cause and you don’t have to worry about the Toxic Shock Syndrome that can be fatal if you catch a bacterial infection from your tampon.
- Sleep: There’s nothing worse that having to get up in the middle of the night because you are leaking. The menstruating cup is flexible and can be worn all night long.
- Comfortable: While the thought of having a cup inserted in your vagina might not be appealing, you actually can’t feel it and it doesn’t matter how heavy or how light your period is, the cup can hold it in. There are also rumors that they diminish cramps, but there’s no scientific proof yet.
- Environmentally conscious: Since you can use the cup for a whole 12 months, you don’t need to be worrying about it like when you use tampons and pads. There’s no waste or embarrassing sounds coming from your purse.
Check out this video to learn more about everything you should know about menstrual cups, who knows…we might even convince you to throw away your tampons and pads…