Cooking accidents are almost inevitable and in many cases can send people to the hospital. The late Jenni Rivera’s mother, Rosa Saavedra recently suffered injuries to her face, neck, and chest after a NutriBullet blender she was using exploded.
Saavedra was probably making a smoothie when the NutriBullet exploded and burned her skin leaving her with some horrible injuries. “The burn got uglier. Be careful with your NutriBullet because they explode,” said Saavedra in an image she shared on Instagram.
Unfortunately, this is more common than we think. Homeland Housewares, the creator of NutriBullet is currently being sued in the U.S. by Pete Damiano, an American man who suffered severe facial injuries while making a sauce using the blender.
“Thankfully he is not permanently blinded, but the very hot, sticky sauce ended up in his eyeball, in addition to being all over his face and he had to undergo months of treatment to try to correct that problem,” his San Francisco-based lawyer, Lori Andrus, told Today Tonight Adelaide.
“The company is aware of the problem and, in fact, we have brought a prior lawsuit against a common manufacturer based on the Magic Bullet’s similar design defect [Magic Bullet is a different blender, also owned by Homeland Housewares],” Andrus said.
“So yes, it’s our position that the company is aware of the problem and is not addressing it.”
The company claims that customers are not using the NutriBullet correctly. “We take our customers’ safety seriously and recommend all consumers should always read and follow the instructions provided,” a NutriBullet spokesman told news.com.au.
“There are clear warnings against incorrect and improper use repeated throughout the instruction manuals,” he said.
“Consumers should not put hot liquids in any of the blending vessels (cups), should not leave the unit unattended during use and additionally should never exceed the maximum one minute blending time.
There are several cases of people suffering injuries by these types of devices, which is why it’s so important to read the instructions to use them properly and avoid injuries. Using a blender might be a better option if you own one of these devices.