It’s no secret that Latinos love music and dancing. If there’s no music and dancing at a party—it’s not a party. When the Zumba craze finally made it’s way to the U.S., many Latinos jumped on the Zumba bandwagon. It’s a great way to get your daily cardio in, burn tons of calories, and sweat. By the end of an 1-hour session, your skin is guaranteed to be glistening.
It’s become more and more popular through the years because you do a variety of movements incorporated with Latin rhythms, such as Salsa, Marengue, Cumbia, Banda, and practically any type of music with a good beat.
MUST READ: 5 Ways To A Healthy Heart
Research has shown that the average Zumba class burns about 400 calories and those numbers can go as high as 1,000 calories. That means that Zumba burns more calories than cardio boxing or even power yoga. The great thing about this workout is that you don’t need to be an expert. As long as you’re moving to the rhythm of the music, you’re burning calories.
What Are Some of the Benefits?
- Weight loss: Zumba is a great form of cardio, so it really works your cardiovascular system. It gets you’re heart pumping, and you sweat off the pounds.
- Tones Your Body: No one tells you this, but when you do Zumba, there’s a lot of booty shaking and lots of twists and squats. Without even trying, you start to build muscle and start to tone your body.
- Stress Reliever: When you’re dancing, you’re happy. The upbeat music makes you release endorphins; releasing you of stress and making you feel great at the end of your workout.
Since it’s a great form of cardio, Zumba has also been linked to helping those individuals with certain medical conditions. People have been known to:
- Lower their high blood pressure
- Eliminate pre-diabetic conditions
- Help older people strengthen bones, muscles, and joints
- Improve mobility
- Improve cognitive function
Zumba is one of the greatest workouts with lots of benefits, and it’s very accessible since most gyms offer Zumba classes. If you don’t have a gym membership, there are lots of videos you could watch on YouTube with full-length workouts. The important thing is that you start moving and start dancing towards a healthier lifestyle.