As the executive chef and owner of one of Portland’s most popular restaurants, Mother’s Bistro & Bar, Lisa Schroeder specializes in refined comfort food, recreating classic and nostalgic flavor combinations with regional and seasonal ingredients.
LIKE LatinoDoctor.org http://LatinoDoctor.org on Facebook! La vitamina diaria…Para Su Vida!
In partnership with the California Avocado Commission, Schroeder will be featuring California avocado-enhanced dishes on her menu throughout the month of June. Other chef partners in cities throughout the country, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, San Diego and San Francisco will feature California avocado-centric dishes, menus, and specials in their respective restaurants.
The California BLAST Sandwich
Recipe created by chef Lisa Schroeder of Mother’s Bistro & Bar for the California Avocado Commission.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices rustic or country bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 (4-oz.) boneless and skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 leaves green leaf or red leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato, cut into eight slices
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and drained on paper towels
- 2 ripe, fresh California avocados, peeled, seeded and sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. You should be able to hold your hand a few inches above the grate for just 3 seconds. Brush the bread slices on one side with some of the olive oil. Place bread on the grill, oiled side down, and grill until marks appear, about 1 minute. Rotate bread a quarter turn and continue to grill another minute for cross-hatch grill marks.
2. Remove bread from grill and spread equal amount of mayonnaise on the un-grilled side of each of the bread slices. Set bread aside, grilled side down.
3. Dip each salmon fillet in the remaining olive oil and place it on grill diagonally, as if facing 10 o’clock. Season each fillet with salt and pepper. Cook until grill marks appear, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn a quarter turn so it faces 1 o’clock and grill another 1 1/2 minutes. Use a spatula to turn the fish over and finish cooking until the salmon is opaque throughout and flakes easily, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. Divide half of the grilled bread slices onto serving plates. Top each bread slice with a whole lettuce leaf, slices of tomato, salmon, avocado and bacon.
5. Close each sandwich stack with the remaining bread slices and serve.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 780; Total Fat 39 g (Sat 7 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 6 g, Mono 22 g); Cholesterol 105 mg; Sodium 1520 mg; Potassium 1070 mg; Total Carbohydrates 67 g; Dietary Fiber 7 g; Total Sugars 3 g; Protein 40 g
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly. As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting.
For these recipes and others created by CAC’s numerous chef partners, visit CaliforniaAvocado.com.