A quick, colorful summer side for a barbeque or Cinco de Mayo (add diced jalapeño).
LIKE LatinoDoctor.org http://LatinoDoctor.org on Facebook! La vitamina diaria…Para Su Vida!
It travels well to picnics—and the ingredients travel well to a vacation rental. For a gluten-free version, use cooked quinoa in place of preparing the couscous.
Southwestern Couscous Salad
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears corn)
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Toss couscous with remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Per Serving:170 calories (25 from fat), 2.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 16g protein