Christmas lights, ornaments and other festive decorations are beautiful to look at, but parents need to remember that little ones (and cats and dogs) are drawn to shiny, glittering objects too, and those decorations may not always be safe to touch. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), recommends that homes with small children should not be filled with sharp or breakable decorations.
Young children could also swallow or inhale small or removable pieces from larger decorations. Any ornaments or decorations that look like food or candy could also pose a risk to small children who can’t tell the difference and are tempted to eat them, the AAP said in a news release.
Also, be careful about poisonous plants. Mistletoe berries, Jerusalem cherries and holly berry adorn many homes during the holidays but many of these plants are toxic and could pose a threat to children. Be sure to keep these greens and berries out of children’s reach.